| Home > Tips & Resources > Hurricane Preparedness Tips
Hurricane Preparedness Tips
- If at all possible after a hurricane, take photographs of any resultant damage to your home.
- Do not wait until the imminent approach of a hurricane to insure your home and contents. Secure insurance coverage early this hurricane season.
- Before a hurricane, you should know the nearest hurricane shelter and have a plan for relocation to the shelter if that becomes necessary.
- Before a hurricane, you should fill your vehicle with gasoline so that it is available for emergency purposes in the event gas stations are not working.
- Before a hurricane, policy holders should ensure that their insurance policies are up to date, e.g. policies have been renewed, premiums paid and sums insured are accurate.
- After a hurricane and your property sustained damage, policy holders should have the damage assessed as quickly as possible and present an estimate for repairs and or replacement to their insurance company.
- During a hurricane listen to the radio for continuous updates on the system progress.
- During a hurricane, you should avoid moving around outside unless it is absolutely necessary: this is because of the danger posed by falling objects and the impact of high winds.
- After a hurricane, do not use a car unless there is an urgent job to be done as this should help conserve gasoline.